Written by Talha Javaid
Ever since Netflix announced that they were bringing one of the most beautiful novel to life, I had been excited to see how it would all turn out. Going into this series, I hadn’t at first read the book myself, but I briefly had the idea about the synopsis, bearing in mind the title itself gives it away, but the mystery of how the story turns out was still there.
I thought it would be a good distraction for the upcoming deadlines but how wrong I was as it became more a binge fest as every episode left me wanting to watch the next and then the one after until I found myself a day and a half later finished and bawling my eyes out, wanting more.
13 hours of incredible story that leaves you unsure of how you really feel.
Generation Z brings you 13 reasons why you should watch this series:
1. The music is amazing – It’s true, the soundtrack is amazing, every song is well placed within the scene it’s in and it really shows you how a song can really change the mood of the scene, character or the audience.
2. It will break your heart but for a good reason – Being as this is a show that tackles the issue of suicide, it needs to be emotive and it delivers almost instantly, it connects with you on an emotional level and you can’t help but feel your heart ache for some of the characters because their angst is so damn relatable.
3. The opening credits are incredible – Short and simple, also artistic and clever, couldn’t have changed anything in them.
4. Teenagers played by young adults – Sometimes it’s adults in their late 20’s or early 30’s that play teenagers and you can totally see that, but having most of the cast be teenagers themselves really made this show worth the watch as it all became more real and believable.
5. Not high school drama but drama that happens to high schoolers – We often watch shows which is set in high school and resolves around that high school bullshit, but 13 reasons why takes that approach in a new way where they show it from the victim’s perspective through the use of clever storytelling.
6. It offers an interesting take on technology – The show itself is modern and funky but uses old tech to really blend past and present together, the use of cassette tapes to tell Hannah’s story makes it worth the watch.
7. The cinematography is beautiful and subtle – It’s beautifully shot and seems very authentic and realistic with the sets and locations.
8. Tackles timely issues – Issues which effect people like me, like you, like all of us. The show doesn’t shy away from tackling the issues of bullying, homophobia, rape, and suicide which is why it’s so unique to watch, because it makes you wonder what you’d do in that situation.
9. The lead is an up-and-coming actress – Something I find very cool, because she seems like a natural, she played the part phenomenally and was incredibly versatile to portray such dark tortured character. It’s always good to cast someone new for a role such as Hannah Baker as the audience don’t know what to expect.
10. Binge worthy – As mentioned before you’d think you can watch an episode then go off do your thing, no!! this show hooks you in and before you know it, 13 hours later you are finished and thinking – WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
11. The steps of mystery are well plotted – This was incredible, every tape was well scripted and portrayed so ambiguously. The flashbacks were also so mysterious that you didn’t really have a chance to think about how it would all pan out. I was overwhelmed with some of the twists that had occurred, it shocked me!! And I normally can figure it all out before it happens.
12. It reiterates that everyone truly has their own story – The show does this purposely to highlight that behind every face is a story ready to be told, that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. It really does make you think about people in a different way and puts life into perspective.
13. There is a hope for another season – Whilst this maybe just speculation, there is a slight chance this might be true as the ending of the show felt very unfinished and raised more questions than answering them.
Whilst fans might feel that there is no need for another season because it would tarnish the story of Hannah Baker, I’m one who has mixed opinions about this. There are somethings I want answers to, some character’s stories I want finished, but then I realise that it would tarnish Hannah’s story and this was a show about her.
Never the less whatever happens we still recommend this series to be on your watch list. Generation Z gives 13 Reasons why a solid 9/10 because of the all reasons mentioned above. So now get watching, but have all the tissue boxes out cause this one is heavy and will rip your heart out.